The following Terms and Conditions apply to all Applicants for IVC2018 Masterclass participation.
Click on the arrow icons below to expand and read each paragraph.
Please read it through carefully.
In these Terms and Conditions, the following definitions are used:
1.1. Congress refers to the 45th International Viola Congress 2018 (IVC2018)
1.2. IVC refers to the organization behind the Congress, part of the Dutch Viola Society.
1.3. Application refers to the act of filling in and submitting the IVC2018 Masterclass Application Form.
1.4. A Masterclass Candidate is a person who is Applying for IVC2018 Masterclass participation.
1.5. A Masterclass Participant is a person who has Applied for Masterclass participation and has been admitted for a specific masterclass
2. MASTERCLASS APPLICATION
2.1. In order to be considered for selection, the Candidate must be maximum 26 years of age during the Congress (born after 24/11/1991).
2.2. In order to be considered for selection, the Candidate must fulfill one of the following two criteria:
- EITHER the Candidate must be fully Registered for the Congress as a Young Delegate, in the process of registration having bought at the very least one Day Pass, and having provided proof of 2018 Viola Society membership.
- OR the Candidate must be registered and admitted to the IVC2018 Volunteers team. This does not require Congress registration or membership of a Viola Society.
2.3. In the Application Form, the candidate must submit a short personal Biography of maximum 250 words, as well as a C.V. / Resumé of max. 2 pages. Both documents can be uploaded separately, or bundled as one document.
2.4. In the Application Form, the candidate must upload a headshot photo. This image file must comply to the following format requirements:
- Photo must be recent (less than 3 years old)
- JPEG file format
- Full colour
- Dimensioned at (minimum) 600×600 up to 1200×1200 pixels
2.5. In the Application Form, the candidate must submit a link to a video recording of his/her viola playing. The video must conform to the following rules:
- The video must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or similar online streaming or file sharing platform. The link to the video shall be provided in the Application form.
- The link itself shall allow anyone in possession of the link to view the video (i.e. link sharing). No specific user login shall be required of the viewer.
- The video must remain persistently available through the given link until at least November 25th, 2018 (end of IVC Congress).
- The video must have been recorded in the current calendar year (2018).
- Minimum length of video: 7 minutes
(minimum length is 5 minutes, if the candidate is under 18 years old).
- No maximum recording length is indicated, however the selection committee will not be obliged to listen through more than 10 minutes of the candidate’s recording.
- The video shall be made from sufficiently close range to clearly recognize the candidate’s face (when compared to the separately uploaded photo, see 2.4 above)
- The video shall allow an unobstructed view of the candidate’s face, arms and hands.
- The video must not be edited, i.e. a piece (movement) shall be shown from beginning to end without skips or switching between different camera’s.
- Textual titles and subtitles on the video image are allowed, as long as they do not obstruct the view as per bullet 8. above.
2.6. In the Application Form, the candidate may submit preferences for up to three specific teachers / masterclasses. However the Congress cannot commit to fulfilling these preferences.
2.7. The Candidate has to confirm his/her availability for any possible masterclass time during the Congress (November 20th – 24th, 0900-1800h).
2.8. There is no separate fee for IVC2018 Masterclass application
2.9. The candidate must agree to these Terms and Conditions as well as the Terms and Conditions for Congress Participation in order to submit the Application form.
2.10. The Application Form must be submitted no later than 24:00h (Rotterdam time, CET) on September 15th, 2018.
3. SELECTION AND ASSIGNMENT
3.1. The Masterclass Selection committee of the IVC will finalize selections within two weeks of the Application deadline mentioned in article 2.10 above. The candidates will be informed of their status by e-mail, as soon as possible after this decision.
3.2. Each candidate will be selected and assigned to at most one masterclass. From the moment such a selection has been communicated to the applicant, the candidate has become a Participant.
3.3. Candidates who are not selected for a Masterclass, will be placed on a Waiting List (for later admission, in case of cancellations).
3.4. Where dates / times are indicated for specific teachers / masterclasses, the IVC cannot guarantee that these times will not change. The Participant is expected to exercise maximum flexibility with respect to changing dates and times of the assigned masterclass.
3.4. If selected for a Masterclass with a special theme / repertoire, the Participant is expected to prepare the required repertoire (e.g. Reger, Polo, Kurtag etc.). The conditions for obtaining sheet music are indicated for each masterclass separately.
3.5. If the Participant requires a pianist, but cannot bring his/her own pianist to the Congress, the IVC will provide a pianist at no extra cost. The pianist must be given the piano score as soon as possible after the Participant is notified of his/her selection.
3.6. A Participant who has been selected in the capacity of IVC Volunteer (rather than the nominal status of registered Young Delegate – refer to Article 2.2. above), will owe a one-time Masterclass fee of €25,- , to be paid to the IVC bank account before November 15th. Full banking information is provided on the Contacts page.
4.1. In the event that the Participant should be(come) unavailable for the assigned Masterclass, he/she has to notify the IVC as soon as possible by sending a cancellation by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the candidate also wishes to cancel his/her registration/participation to the Congress, this must be done separately, as governed by Article 3.4. of the Terms and Conditions for IVC2018 participation.
4.2. If a Participant has been assigned to a masterclass / teacher that was not his/her preference, this does not constitute a valid reason for cancellation.
4.3. In the unlikely event that the assigned Masterclass itself would be cancelled, the Participant will be notified of this fact. No compensation can be offered in such case.
5. GENERAL REGULATIONS
5.1. Decisions of the IVC2018 Masterclass Selection committee are final; there is no possibility to appeal these decisions.
5.2. In case of infringement of these Terms and Conditions, IVC reserves the right to refuse or cancel the Participant’s assignment.
5.3. All points not covered herein are subject to the decision of the Congress Manager.